Call Us:

0208 641 5755

Email Us:

Office Hours:

Mon - Fri / 09:00am - 5:30pm

Party Wall…

Many property owners are still new to the term ‘Party Wall’ and the understanding for the reasons behind it. Information online can be difficult to find and not easy to understand. Not only can this be a difficult topic for neighbours’ who worry about the likelihood of their neighbours’ building works affecting them, but for Building Owners intending to complete building works itself

From our experience, many neighbours are unaware of the different options which are available, in order to protect their property from the intended neighbouring works. Many who are in doubt, choose the appointment of a Surveyor as the only option they are aware of which will project their property. This however is not strictly the case, and can result without intention, in a breakdown of a once good neighbourly relationship, and also extra unnecessary expenses for the Building Owner.

We adapt a far different approach to other Party Wall Surveyors where possible, in order to offer the best possible solution for both, the Building Owner and Neighbouring Owner when Party Wall is likely to be required.

Our aim as a company, is to act as an impartial party to discuss the requirements needed based on the intended works, and to offer our services in and around The Act in order to suggest the most suitable and cost effective outcome putting both parties first, but keeping that all important neighbourly relationship in place, and peace of mind the neighbours property is protected. We explain the good and bad with Party wall, as we believe honesty is the best way for both parties to understand the obligations which need to be followed, and reasons why these requirements need to be in place and agreed. One cannot agree to something one cannot understand in our opinion.

We provide a wide range of Party Wall services, such as:

  • Party Wall Notice
  • Party Wall Surveyors
  • Party Wall Agreement
  • Party Wall Dispute
  • Survey & Prepare Schedule of Condition Report

What is a party wall?

The main types of party walls are:

  • A wall that stands on the lands of 2 (or more) owners and forms part of a building – this wall can be part of one building only or separate buildings belonging to different owners
  • A wall that stands on the lands of 2 owners but does not form part of a building, such as a garden wall but not including timber fences
  • A wall that is on one owner’s land but is used by 2 (or more) owners to separate their buildings The Act also uses the expression ‘party structure’. This could be a wall or floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings in different ownership, such as in flats.

What the Act covers?

The Act covers:

  • New building on or at the boundary of 2 properties
  • Work to an existing party wall or party structure
  • Excavation near to and below the foundation level of neighbouring buildings

This may include:

  • Building a new wall on or at the boundary of 2 properties
  • Cutting into a party wall
  • Making a party wall taller, shorter or deeper
  • Removing chimney breasts from a party wall
  • Knocking down and rebuilding a party wall
  • Digging below the foundation level of a neighbour’s property

Explanatory booklet

This provides detailed guidance on the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. The guidance explains how the Act may affect a building owner who wishes to carry out work covered by the Act or an adjoining building owner who receives notification under the Act of proposed work.

The guidance has been further updated in May 2016 to take account of amendments to the Act to allow the electronic transmission of notices and other documents, required under the Act, where both the giver and receiver of the notices and documents agree.

Download the explanatory booklet in PDF format below by clicking on image below: